10 good reasons to learn a second language
- The study of languages, literature and culture, like the study of history, philosophy, or mathematics, helps develop analytical skills.
- Higher order thinking skills like problem solving, dealing with abstract concepts, and inferencing are increased when you study a new language. Foreign language study has been shown to enhance thinking skills and memory, contributing a significant additional dimension to the concept of communication.
- Dealing with another culture helps students gain a more profound understanding of their own culture. Studying languages in the context of history, politics, and popular culture can help you follow international events with greater insight.
- Foreign language study creates more positive attitudes and less prejudice toward people who are culturally different. Language study introduces you to new realms of ideas, customs, habits, and values.
- Business skills plus a foreign language skill make an employee more valuable in the marketplace. Directly and indirectly the study of languages and their cultures and literature will provide you with important job-related knowledge and skills that can give you a competitive edge.
- Creativity is increased with the study of a foreign language. Special pleasure can be found in greater access to foreign films, music, and the arts. Even if your knowledge of a language is not extensive, you will find you enjoy more when you understand meaning in the original.
- Graduates often cite foreign language courses as some of the most valuable courses they took in college because of the communication skills they developed in the process. Many college programs are adopting innovative ways of teaching language that involve the use of computers and the internet and involve making connections with students in other countries.
- International travel is made easier and more pleasant through knowing a foreign language. Students who go abroad enlarge their opportunity to experience language and culture firsthand. Basic language competency is a prerequisite for study abroad in most non-English-speaking countries.
- Global Economy. The global economy is a fact of life in the 21st century. Some pertinent figures are: one out of every six production jobs in the U.S. depends on foreign trade; oOne half of the top profit making companies on Fortune Magazines “500″ list are foreign owned; four out of five new jobs in the U.S. are created as a result of foreign trade.
- More and more businesses work closely with companies in other countries. They need many different kinds of workers who can communicate in different languages and understand other cultures. No matter what career you choose, if you’ve learned a second language, you’ll have a real advantage.
Patong Language School offers language instruction for learners of English, Thai, German and Japanese. Why not start learning a second language right now?