Language learning tips
Learning a language in Phuket
Patong Language School has almost 40 years of experience in teaching new languages to students. Whichever language you learn, there are some techniques you can apply yourself to make greater progress.
In the classroom
- Participate fully in your language class. Speak every chance you get. Listen to others when they speak. Learn from their mistakes.
- Be prepared to work with your classmates and to speak with them in the new language. Even though they are learning too, speaking a language is about communicating with everybody.
- Expect to make mistakes. You won’t learn if you don’t make mistakes. This is all part of the process of learning. If the teacher sees you making mistakes, they know you are trying and will be able to correct you. If you are not making mistakes, you are not trying hard enough.
Learn from your mistakes!
- Don’t expect to understand everything right away.
- Communication first, grammar second.
- Speak … every chance you get!
- Take part and don’t give up!
Learning a language
- Your teacher will introduce the language and give you the tools to help you learn, but you must take the most important step and practise as much as possible.
- Don’t be afraid to take part. Your teacher will create a friendly environment for you to try to speak.
- Set some goals, but keep them realistic. Congratulate yourself when you reach your goals.
- Don’t expect to understand everything right away. Be patient and within a short time the language will become clearer.
- Don’t give up. Stick with it until you reach your goal!
Outside the classroom
- Practising outside the classroom is an opportunity to bring the classroom language to life.
- You should study at home or in your hotel. It’s a simple fact – the more time you spend studying and practising, the more you will improve.
- Watch TV in the language you are learning – even bad movies can teach you something!
- Listen to songs. They are a great source of modern language usage and cultural references.
- Read foreign language materials such as newspapers, magazines, books, etc.
- Visit language learning websites. They are full of good ideas.