Patong Language School
Terms and Conditions
PLS does its best to be fair and reasonable and to accommodate students where possible. It is not possible to list every possible situation here, so in any circumstances not listed below, decisions will be made at the discretion of PLS management and our decision is final.
Enrolment & Payment
- All applications received are processed within 24 hours (except Sundays and holidays). PLS will respond with a proposed schedule and cost for language study.
- Your booking is not confirmed until PLS has received your deposit payment and sent you a booking confirmation by email.
- The balance of the course fee must be paid no later than the first day of study, before your first lesson. Payment on the commencement day can be made in cash (Thai Baht) or by credit card. If you pay the balance by bank transfer, it should reach our account no later than the day before study commences – please allow at least 7 days for international transfers.
- Our courses, accommodation and services are priced in Thai Baht. Any prices shown in other currencies on our website or literature are for guidance only.
- You should not book your flight until you have received confirmation that payment has been received by us. We aim to respond to all emails and process all credit card payments within 24 hours (except Sundays and holidays).
Cancellation and Refund Policy
- The deposit is non-refundable (exceptions may apply to those who have applied for an ED visa, see ‘ED Visa’ section below).
- In the unlikely event that PLS cancels a class for any reason, then the student is entitled to a full refund of all monies paid.
- In the event of a student quitting after commencement or cancelling after full payment has been made, refunds are at the discretion of PLS management. A partial refund may be granted if you become ill during study and have a doctor’s statement that you are unable to continue.
- Refunds are made by cash (to be collected from the school office) or via PayPal.
- Private lessons can be postponed to a later date at no charge, providing you notify us at least 24 hours in advance (or 48 hours for lessons on a Monday). If you notify us less than 24 hours in advance (or less than 48 hours for lessons on a Monday), you will lose those lessons.
- You may postpone your start date for a group course one time at no charge, providing you notify us at least 48 hours in advance. Further postponements of your start date will incur a Reschedule Fee of 5,000 Baht each time.
- If you postpone your studies, your new start date cannot be more than 1 year from your original start date.
- Students who enrol to study for at least 12 weeks (minimum of 4 lessons per week) are entitled to apply for an ED visa. PLS can assist these students with their ED visa paperwork.
- Students who enrol to study for 7 months or more must pay a non-refundable 50% deposit before PLS can prepare their ED visa paperwork.
- Students who enrol to study for 3-6 months must make a non-refundable payment equivalent to 3 months of study before PLS can prepare their ED visa paperwork.
- PLS does not guarantee that a student will be issued with an ED visa. Every Thai consulate/embassy is different and approval of visas is at the discretion of the consulate/embassy staff.
- If PLS has assisted you with your visa paperwork and your ED visa application is denied, you are entitled to a full refund, less a 1,500 Baht administration fee.
- Students arriving intoxicated or under the influence of drugs will be immediately excluded from the class. Other reasons for exclusion include inappropriate behaviour, threats and unwanted advancement and/or harassment toward fellow students, teachers or administration staff. Serious cases will also be referred to the local authorities.
- Smoking is not permitted in the school building. Smoking is allowed in the designated area in the coffee-shop behind the school.
- Drinking of alcohol is not acceptable during study hours. Only during school sponsored activities/parties is the drinking of alcohol acceptable on school property.
Release of Liability and Assumption of Risks
- You are voluntarily participating in language study with PLS. You acknowledge that travel to, from and within Thailand, including at the school, accommodation and any excursions, have risks and dangers that you may be exposed to and possibly harmed by. These include, but are not limited to, personal injuries, property damage, accidents involving motor vehicles, aircraft and other forms of transportation, sickness, diseases (including food, water or insect borne diseases that are not commonly encountered in Europe or North America), riots, political instability, crime, acts of terrorism, detention by government authorities or individuals, burglary, assault, encounters with dangerous wildlife and other hazards.
- You understand that PLS has contracted with independent local organisations, outfitters, suppliers and vendors for the provision of certain aspects of your study, including, accommodation, food and excursions (“Vendors”), and that PLS does not own or operate some of these Vendors. While PLS has used its best efforts to select reliable and safe Vendors, it is not responsible for any negligent or willful act or omission of a Vendor or other third party, and you release PLS from all claims arising out of, or related to, the willful or negligent acts or omissions of these Vendors.
- In exchange, and in consideration for participation in a language class, you hereby release PLS and its employees, agents, volunteers, officers, directors and representatives (each, a “Releasee”) from any and all injuries, deaths, losses, liabilities, damages, claims, actions, suits and judgments whatsoever including costs, expenses and attorney fees (collectively, “Claims”) that you may have now or in the future, directly or indirectly, arising from, connected with or related to your participation in the training program, whether caused by any Releasee or some other person or cause. You agree that you will not, at any time, directly or indirectly, on behalf of yourself, your child and your heirs, commence or prosecute any action, suit or other proceeding against any Releasee arising from, connected with or related to your participation in the training program. You agree to indemnify, hold harmless and defend each Releasee from and against any and all Claims whatsoever that the Releasee may suffer arising from, connected with or related to your participation in the program, whether inside or outside of Thailand.
- Further, you hereby grant full permission to PLS to use any photographs, videotapes, motion pictures, website images, recordings, and/or comments you make in questionnaires or letters or any other record of your studies for purposes of commercial advertising, marketing or promotional literature without the need for further consent from you.
You acknowledge that you have been advised and warned by PLS that it is advisable to purchase and maintain both personal travel insurance and health insurance which covers medical expenses, emergency medical evacuations, accidental death or dismemberment and repatriation of remains for the period that you are travelling and participating in language study. It is your responsibility to make certain that the insurance covers such costs incurred in Thailand. PLS may, from time to time, offer health or travel insurance coverage through selected insurance providers so that you can obtain a preferential rate, but they are under no obligation to do so. Should you choose to select any insurance package provided through PLS, you acknowledge that you have independently verified the sufficiency of the coverage for your needs.
- This document shall be governed by the laws of Thailand and shall be honored in any jurisdiction where it is presented.
- This document shall be binding upon you and all persons having or claiming rights on your behalf. If any provision of this document is held to be invalid or unenforceable, the remainder of this document shall not be affected thereby and shall be valid and enforced to the fullest extent permitted by Thai law.
- This document may not be modified orally. This document may be revised from time to time without prior notice.
PLS Proprietary Rights
The information provided on our website, including any data, text, graphics, images, audio and video clips, logos, icons, software and links (collectively, “materials”), are the property of PLS and our licensors and suppliers and are protected by copyright, trademark, patent and other proprietary rights and laws. You may use the materials for your personal use (and not for any public or commercial use) if you retain all copyright and other proprietary notices on the materials and do not use any graphics without the accompanying text. The trademarks, trade names and service marks on our website are the property of us or others. No use of any of our trademarks, trade names or service marks may be made without our prior written consent, except to identify our products or services. Except as permitted above, no license or right, express or implied, is granted to any person under any of our or our licensors’ patents, trademarks, copyrights or other proprietary rights. Misuse of any of our or our licensors’ intellectual property rights is prohibited. We will enforce our property rights, including via civil and criminal proceedings.
Acceptance of our Terms & Conditions
By booking a PLS language course, either with or without accommodation, you indicate that you have read and agree to the contents of this document, including the cancellation and refund policy, assumption of risk, release of liability, and insurance requirements.