No school can be great without a team of excellent teachers. Luckily for us (and you), PLS managed to snap up the best language teachers on the island. Khruu Alan is one of our English teachers – he splits his time between teaching private lessons and teaching our level 10 (Elementary) ‘English for All’ group course. We figured it was time for him to share a little bit about himself with all of you.
Where are you from?
I’m from Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A., by way of Tucson, Arizona and Los Angeles, California.
How long have you lived in Thailand?
Since June of 2016.
Why did you decide to teach English in Phuket?
My mother was a teacher her whole life and it’s something I had always wanted to do. I was lucky enough to get a job at PLS, where I meet interesting people from all over the world on a daily basis.
How would you describe your teaching style?
I’ve been told I have a relaxed and open style. I try to adapt my lessons to each student’s desires and any goals that they have set for themselves. And we always have fun!
Tell us a bit about yourself.
I enjoy movies, meditation, and the beach. I recently had a poem featured on NHK World’s “Haiku Masters”. I love animals.
Can you speak Thai?
What are your recommendations for the following:
- Restaurant: The Sandwich Shoppe, right across from school, is my go-to place.
- Thai food: I never met a Tom Yum Goong I didn’t like.
- Where to watch the sunset: Patong Beach – it’s just a two minute walk from the school.
- Market: Banzaan Market in Patong.
- Sightseeing: I still haven’t been to all the beaches in Phuket, there are too many.